1. Have a notebook and pen ready to use for this exercise. Over a week’s time, write down all of the negative thoughts that come into your head. Just one liners. Make a star beside the ones that keep coming up throughout the week.
2. You will need about an hour for the next part. After a week, look at each line and ask yourself if this is true or false. Write down true or false at the end of each sentence.
3. For the comments that are false, think of what the truth is and write it down on a separate sheet of paper or on a flash card. Most of the negative comments people focus on are lies.
4. If some of the comments are true, take two or three deep breaths and reflect on what is true about them. Is the entire comment true or is just a part of it true? Keep your emotions out of it so you just have the facts. If a negative thought is true, use it as an opportunity to better yourself. Think of ways you can change the negative thought to a positive one. Focus on solutions, then plan a simple action you can take so your thought is now positive. Don’t wait, do it now!
5. Once you have all the negative thoughts out of your head, you need to replace them with positive thoughts. Use the truths you wrote down as positive affirmations. Keep the pages or flash cards near a mirror and say them to yourself everyday in the mirror. Remember, if you’ve been believing the lies in your head for 20 or 30 years, it could take a few years to get them all out and start to live in the truths. It took me about 3 years of saying my 3 ½ pages of positive affirmations to myself daily, sometimes 2 or 3 times per day, before all of the negativity of my past left me.
Whenever you catch that negative thought coming up, delete it and tell yourself the truth. It really is true that THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE!